Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Organizational Unit: Operations
Duty Station: Malmö, Sweden
1. Organizational setting
The World Maritime University (WMU) is a postgraduate education, research and capacity building university established in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), a specialized agency of the United Nations. It is a centre of excellence for high-level maritime and oceans education, research, scholarship and capacity building, including for the promotion, advancement and efficiency of shipping and related fields, the improvement of maritime safety and security, and the protection of the marine environment in furtherance of the purposes and objectives of the IMO and the United Nations system. WMU’s fundamental objective is also to provide the international community, and in particular developing countries, with a centre for high-level maritime education, research, scholarship and capacity building and an effective means for the sharing of maritime technology from developed to developing maritime nations.
The COO position is stationed at WMU’s headquarters in Malmö, Sweden.
2. Main purpose
WMU is seeking to recruit a COO who will report to the President. The COO will provide support to the WMU President in the areas of Strategic Planning and Management, Finance and Risk Management, Human Resources, IT, Marketing, and the WMU Endowment Fund. The incumbent will also be responsible for the preparation of reports required by the President for submission to the University’s governance structures.
The incumbent will assist the President in fundraising to achieve long term financial sustainability and growth of the University to meet the WMU’s current and future operational needs.
3. Working relationships
Internal contacts – The incumbent will work under the supervision of the President and will be expected to liaise and interact with faculty and non-faculty staff members, as appropriate. The incumbent will have specific responsibility for the units dealing with Finance, Risk Management, Human Resources, IT and Marketing.
External contacts – As requested by the President, the incumbent may be required to liaise and interact with donors, the investment and asset management community as well as with all other relevant stakeholders. Represents the University externally as necessary and as assigned by the President.
4. Duties, responsibilities
The incumbent will be required to draft reports for review by the President for submission to the University’s governance bodies and undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
a) Strategic planning and business management
- Develop, draft, update, and monitor as appropriate, the Strategic and Business Plans that incorporate goals and objectives of the University; and monitor their implementation.
- Ensure that substantive work programmes and programmed activities are carried out in a timely manner, liaising with relevant work units as appropriate, and oversee the programme implementation and evaluation.
- Provide policy guidance to the President on strategy development and management of the implementation of overall strategies and intra and inter-divisional/departmental policies and procedures.
b) Finance and Asset Management
- Oversees financial planning and management in support of the President
- Responsible for the adequate preparation of comprehensive budget and financial reports;
- Advise the President on financial planning, budgeting and investment priorities.
- Provides support to the President concerning:
- matters relating to the Endowment Fund, including support for the Endowment Fund Investment and Development Committees and Endowment Fund capital campaigns;
- fund-raising plans both for annual resources mobilization cycles;
- annual resource mobilization, including the identification of short and long-term funding sources; preparation of funding proposals to increase the funds of the University; participation in fundraising activities/missions as appropriate
- Oversees corporate programme planning and management in support of the President;
- Oversees the planning and implementation of service delivery to achieve business goals by fostering innovation, prioritizing initiatives and ensure delivery of high-quality services.
c) Market Development
- Oversees marketing programme development and management, including the development of targeted market strategies for WMU academic programmes;
- Oversees external relationships with corporate partners involved in distant education with WMU.
d) Human Resource Management
- Oversees the work of the Human Resource Unit;
- Oversees the human resources function, including:
- Review staffing requirements for organizational management and programme delivery;
- Oversee the preparation and the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices, including the development of job descriptions and classification review for all staff, recruitment and selection;
- Oversee staff development programmes and initiatives.
e) IT service management
- Oversee the operations of the IT services, including IT development, operations and coordination, networking, and physical/cyber security.
f) Risk management
- Oversee risk management, including the identification of risks (risk profile), measurement of risks (capital requirement) and follow-up by implementation of a risk mitigation strategy.
- Prepare a risk management report at least once a year for the budgetary period concerned for review by the President and consideration of the Executive Board and Board of Governors.
g) Other specific responsibilities as assigned by the President
5. Minimum requirements – education, experience and language skills
- Business or Accounting degree mandatory, a Master’s in Business Administration from a leading Business School is preferred or a Masters in quantitative finance or one of the following fields: Applied Mathematics, Applied Statistics, Actuarial Science, Physics or Engineering.
- A minimum of fifteen years experience with senior-level expertise in financial planning, asset management, fund design, investment vehicles and risk management with private corporations, international organisations or non-profit Institutions.
- Proven experience as COO or related relevant role, including an understanding of business functions, including finance and human resources.
- Experience in managing multicultural, multidisciplinary teams as well as multi-stakeholder partnerships and relationships.
- Resources mobilisation experience in the international public or private sector.
- Experience in inspiring, leading, motivating and managing staff;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
- Experience in programme and project planning and analysis is required. Experience in advising senior officials in the United Nations, Agencies, Funds and Programmes or similar international organisations.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and excellent drafting skills are essential.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
Competencies, Knowledge and skills
Sound knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to the University and UN organizations.
Excellent knowledge of financial and administrative regulations and rules; accounting standards and other related regulations and rules; knowledge of financial management, human resources management, and project management, and resource mobilization.
Excellent drafting skills for the preparation of reports and policy papers are a requirement.
Knowledge of WMU’s statutes and regulations that govern instructional, student support, auxiliary, and other education and training programmes;
- Knowledge and experience in resource mobilization.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Diversified working experience, especially at the international level;
- Computer literacy
- Demonstrated skill in respectful, sensitive communication with people who from diverse backgrounds, cultures, language, gender and abilities;
- The ability to work with a diverse academic and non-academic team.
6. Terms and Conditions
WMU seeks to increase the number of women at all levels and, therefore, qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. WMU will make every effort to facilitate the employment of persons with disabilities.
The position offers an attractive salary (D1 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Salary: US$97,805 net per annum plus a post adjustment (currently US$40,980).
The position offers an attractive salary (D1 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Applicants must fill in the application form, which can be found at http://wmu.se/vacancies. Should send a letter of interest, a complete CV, and the contact information of three referees to Marco Batista, Head of Human Resources (email@example.com).
Deadline for Applications: 31 May 2018
Mer om arbetsgivare
FöretagWorld Maritime University
Arbetsgivarens övriga annonser
Mer om arbetsgivare
FöretagWorld Maritime University