Prof. in Polymeric Composite Materials, with the commission as chaired professor, ref nr 3127-2017
The Department of Engineering Sciences and Mathematics includes a wide range of scientific disciplines with many successful research groups, well-renowned education programs and appreciated lecturers. The research conducted within the Department relates to material science regarding metals, composites and wood, energy engineering issues regarding processes such as gasification and combustion, flow phenomena and how to optimise structures with regard to both function and how they should be produced, as well as the modelling of these materials and processes.
We work closely with companies and industries in both research projects and student projects. Our research is of a high international quality and we collaborate with researchers the world over.
We are now seeking to strengthen our materials research through the recruitment of a professor in polymeric composite materials, who will be tasked with leading the development of research, graduate and undergraduate education within the subject. The subject of polymeric composite materials currently features a strong element of material mechanics and is of importance for materials-related research throughout the whole university. Developing collaboration with related subjects within theory and modelling is also desirable.
Polymeric Composite Materials is a research area comprising the study of processes and mechanisms that influence the performance and properties of fibre-reinforced composites as well as the know-how regarding their manufacturing techniques.
Polymeric composite materials is creating a foundation for manufacturing as well as developing knowledge and understanding of the functionality of advanced polymeric composite materials for current and future applications.
We are studying links between the performance of composites and their heterogeneous structure, the properties of the constituent materials and their interaction. Experimental, analytical and numerical methods are combined in studies of mechanisms at nano, micro and macro level.
The appointed professor will lead and develop research according to the set subject description, as well as being responsible for education at all levels within the subject. Additional important tasks include further developing and broadening collaboration with national and international research groups, as well as interacting with the surrounding community and industry. The appointment as professor is permanent.
The commission as chaired professor includes contributing actively to external funding of research projects and postgraduate studies, as well as contributing in other respects to the development of the division, the department and the university. The commission as chaired professor is limited to six years with the possibility of extension.
Required skills and qualifications
A person is eligible to be appointed as Professor if they have displayed both scientific/artistic proficiency and pedagogical proficiency. The same consideration should be shown when assessing pedagogical proficiency as with scientific/artistic proficiency. In order to meet the requirements for the position of Professor, the applicant must:
- be a prominent figure within their subject field and demonstrate an original and innovative scientific or artistic core in their work while attaining a high international standard,
- have documented their proficiency in a scientific body of work that corresponds to at least three doctoral dissertations or in corresponding work of artistic proficiency,
- show the potential to drive and develop research in the subject
- have documented their experience in seeking and being granted external funding for research and development projects,
- show documented experience of supervision at the third-cycle level and have been the principal supervisor for at least one doctoral student for up to them receiving their degree. The supervisory period shall include the majority of the student's third-cycle studies.
- show documented pedagogical proficiency.
The following assessment criteria are applied for this position:
- Scientific proficiency
- Pedagogical proficiency
- Proficiency at managing and develop university activities
Other assessment criteria in order of importance:
- Ability to fund research and educational activities.
- Experience of initiating and leading major research projects.
- Having a developed network of contacts with the research world and industry.
- Experience of formulating and analysing complex, multi-disciplinary problems relating to polymeric composites, with the focus on mechanical phenomena.
- Experience of research covering the entire research chain, from material characterisation and manufacturing processes to microstructures, as well as the performance and use of composites in complex structures.
- Experience of developing and using material models for composites.
- Documented experience of advanced supervision.
- Good communication skills.
Our research group consists mostly of men why we are happy to see female applicants. Provided that the qualifications are otherwise equal, the underrepresented gender will be given precedence.
For further information, you are welcome to contact:
Head of Department: Professor Elisabet Kassfeldt, Elisabet.Kassfeldt@ltu.se, +46 (0)920-491240
Head of Division: Professor Lennart Wallström, Lennart.Wallstrom@ltu.se, +46 (0)920-493367
SACO Daina Dagis Daina.Dagis@ltu.se Telephone +46 (0)920-493880
OFR Lars Frisk, Lars.Frisk@ltu.se Telephone +46 (0)920-491792
Luleå University of Technology works actively with equality and diversity, which contribute to a creative study and working environment. The University’s values are based on respect, trust, openness and responsibility.
Please apply for the position by clicking on the application button below, where you attach your covering letter and CV as well as copies of verified diplomas. Applications must be written in English. Applicants must also enclose the scholarly work they wish to use in support of their application.
We would ideally like applicants to follow the Application template found on our website, under “Vacant positions”. Application documents that cannot be uploaded electronically should be submitted in triplicate and sent to Luleå University of Technology, Registrar, SE-971 87 Luleå, Sweden. Remember to mark the documents with the reference number.
Reference number: 3127-2017
Final application date: 27th March 2018